Friday, November 14, 2008

Toe-ing the Pa

Every Monday my female 6th grade students take an hour and learn about the traditional Thai weaving. I started going with them because it was a good time to learn more about them and they let me do some weaving.



This is Nan with her Grandmother. Her Grandma teaches us about weaving. She is a wonderful woman.





In Thai weaving is Toe Pa. But I always say, "lets go toe the pa" no one understands but I think it is funny. Some day I will teach the students about puns.








Don't let these pictures fool you. Weaving is hard work. They are also on huge wooden structures. Almost all the women in my small village weave and their designs are beautiful. I have bought some fabric from one of my students mothers but I want to buy more.




They even let me get in on the weaving. After the first couple of Mondays Nan's Grandmother asked me what my favorite color was. The next week they had a purple cloth started!

No comments: